If you have gal pals who’ve just come back from a Spring Break trip in a sunny locale with a gorgeous tan, don’t worry. If you didn’t have time to get out of dodge, you can get a spray-on tan and no one will know the difference!
MyTanningTips.com says spray tanning has been around since 1997 and comes in two forms: airbrushing and tanning booths. The airbrushing method of spray tanning involves a technician using an airbrush machine to apply the tanning chemicals to your body. The second method of spray tanning is automatic tanning booths, which apply an even, continuous mist of tanning chemicals over your body while you stand in the booth. Both methods of spray tanning offer degrees of tan and allow you to choose how tan you’d like to be.
Here are a few tips from Glamour magazine for achieving a natural-looking and long-lasting tan:
1. Exfoliate before you tan, preferably with an oil-based product. Exfoliating helps to get rid of dead skin cells that can make your tan look blotchy.
2. On the day of your spray tan, your skin should be clean, dry and free of any products. Make sure you do not apply any lotion, makeup or deodorant, as they contain oils that can keep the tan from soaking in. When your skin is healthy and hydrated it holds the tan longer and better, so in the days after your spray tan, moisturize every day after your shower.
3. If you wax, do so a couple of days prior to your tanning appointment. Waxing after your spray tan can make the tan come off in those areas. You’ll also want to shave the night before your appointment, as shaving can cause the tan to come off, as well.
4. If you’re getting a spray tan for a special event (wedding or party), book a trial appointment so you can try out the tan and find the right shade for your skin.
5. For the most foolproof results, Glamour magazine says to splurge on a tan administered by an experienced technician for the most even and realistic results.
Have you gotten a spray tan? What did you think?